Innocent Until MADE Guilty

Innocent Until MADE Guilty

Thursday, March 4, 2010

A Problem That Shouldn't Be One

It was just a few days ago when my room mate informed me that my pit bull couldn't live with us in our apartment anymore. She said that it was her parents' decision, and they decided this because they think he's damaging the apartment. I can't tell you how many times people have asked me if Dozer chews my things up. Everyone always says, "Aren't pit bulls really bad about destroying everything in sight?" Of course a dog is going to try to chew on things if you don't train them not to. Dozer hasn't done any damage so far because I'm always watching him when he's out in our apartment.

They also think that pit bulls are dangerous dogs, and they don't want their daughter living with one. I couldn't believe it! I immediately told her that if they weren't willing to make any compromises with me, not only Dozer would leave, I would also. The whole situation made me pretty upset and angry. Now I was facing a problem due to the fact that people have given pit bulls such a bad reputation. Her parents have already met Dozer, and they loved him! So why do they want him gone suddenly?

Recently there was a young girl in Nashville, Tennessee that was bit by her family's dog. Well, if you haven't already guessed, it was a pit bull. My room mate's mom completely ignored the fact that Dozer was a perfectly well-trained dog, and based her judgement of him on this news story! Now, thanks to the popular, false knowledge spread around about pit bulls, I will be moving out and won't be able to live with my best friend. It's ridiculous that people automatically jump to conclusions about things without thinking things through. There are so many factors that could have contributed to that dog's decision to bite the little girl. The little girl could have been doing something to tease or hurt him, he could have been abused, or the girl could have previously done numerous things to bother him while no one was paying any attention! But, of course, people use this as evidence to support their claims that pit bulls are born to fight. It's really sad since it ends up adding to their bad reputation and educates people to avoid this breed when really they need to be loved and helped. I'm very disappointed in my room mate's parents' decision, and I wish that they would give me a chance to prove that their newly held beliefs on pit bulls are wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment